With COVID-19 pandemic still looming large, it is extremely important to take care of yourself especially if you have prior medical conditions. Given the pandemic has pushed everyone indoors and has limited their movements, the majority of the patients are unable to get the necessary exercise to and also required medical consultation when needed.
So it is important to know how to manage the joint pains during this pandemic and in this blog here we are here to help you give you necessary COVID-19 precautions if you suffer from arthritis and tips to help you manage the joint pains.
COVID-19 & Rheumatoid Arthritis: Are Patients More prone to Infection?
Being an autoimmune disorder rheumatoid arthritis compromises the immune system of the patients and hence the patients with rheumatoid arthritis are more prone to COVID-19 infection than any other form of arthritis. So patients with RA are recommended to be extra cautious in maintaining social distancing and following all the much-needed safety precautions below:
- Make sure you stay indoors maintaining the necessary physical distance.
- Always wear a mask in case you need to go out in an emergency, but we advise you not to leave the indoors especially if you are aged more than 50.
- Ensure you carry an alcohol-based sanitizer and wash hands frequently wherever you go.
- Disinfecting the surfaces you touch in your home or anywhere outside is absolutely important. Take special note of keyboard, mouse, lift buttons and phones which are mostly overlooked.
Precautions for joint pains during COVID-19 Pandemic:
While other orthopaedic conditions like arthritis and joint pains are not directly related to the effects of the COVID-19, the lifestyle changes brought over by the pandemic can influence or even exacerbate the joint pains. However, you can take the right steps to manage your pain and protect your joints with the following tips:
- 1. Manage your inflammation with RICE – In case you are experiencing joint pain and swelling you can use Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation method to quickly alleviate the pain. Rest your joint, wrap it with compression, put an ice pack and elevate it from the floor to manage the pain for time being.
- Avoid flare-ups in the first place – Now that you can manage the pain, identify the tasks that are causing you pain in the first place. We advise you to avoid strenuous physical activities, sitting or standing positions that place stress on your joints.
- Exercise – Given the limitations of the pandemic, limited mobility can decrease the calorie-burning making you put on weight that further stress the joints. Regular low-stress exercise not only burns the excess calories but also improves the mobility of your joints and strengthening them in the process.
By following the above 3 tips you can successfully manage your joint pains and in case you fall short, it is advised to contact an orthopaedic specialist as soon as possible. If you are living in Mumbai or Surat, Dr Chirag Patel is an expert orthopaedic surgeon and joint specialist who can help you get rid of joint pain and improve the joint health. You can contact him here: https://www.drpatelchirag.com/