Ankle pain refers to any type of pain or discomfort you feel in your ankles. People all around the world from different age groups have frequently experienced ankle pain for various reasons. Let us now analyse the causes, preventive measures, and home remedies that can help us to overcome the issues related to ankle pain.
There are a variety of causes that lead to ankle pains and injuries. Some common causes are:
- Sprained Ankle
It is the most common cause of ankle pain covering about 80% of all ankle injuries. This is caused when you experience an awkward fall or twist your ankles. During this, the ligaments or the tough band of tissues that holds your ankle bones together are damaged resulting in pain.
- Fractured Or Broken Ankle
This is caused when you trip and fall or drop a heavy object on your foot, or when there is extreme pressure on the ankle joints. Vehicle accidents are other common causes of broken ankles.
- Achilles Tendon Rupture
This injury occurs when you overstretch your Achilles tendons causing them to tear or rupture affecting your ability to walk or stand properly. It is most prone to athletes but can also happen to anyone.
Gout occurs when there is an increase in the uric acid level in the body leading to severe pain in your joints mostly in your big toe or your ankles.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
Rheumatoid arthritis is a common chronic inflammatory and autoimmune disease which causes discomfort and pain in your ankles.
- Ankle Impingement
This is a syndrome that occurs when bone spurs at the front of the ankle bone, restricting the ankle’s range of motion and causing pain.
Some common symptoms of ankle injuries are:
- Intense pain
- Difficulty in movement
Prevention and Treatment
The treatment for ankle pains depends on the severity of the injury. To avoid visiting the emergency room, some preventive measures you can take are:
- Watch your step and be careful on rough or uneven roads.
- Wear the right shoes for any activity.
- Stretch or warm-up before performing any physical activity.
- Keep your ankles strong and flexible through exercises and a healthy diet.
- Maintain your weight.
How to get rid of ankle pain fast? You can take good care of your injured ankles at the comfort of your home. For this, the RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation) method is highly recommended.
- Rest: Try to move as little as possible for the first few days and get enough rest for your foot.
- Ice: Apply an ice bag on your injured ankle so that the inflammation and swelling can be effectively controlled.
- Compression: An elastic or ACE bandage must be used to wrap the ankle. Be careful not to wrap it so tight that it stops the flow of blood. You can also soak clothes in warm water and compress your ankle with it.
- Elevation: Try to keep your foot elevated. People must keep their ankles above their heart level at rest to get immediate results. This reduces swelling.
Most ankle injuries are treatable at home. However, if the pain becomes unbearable or if the injury is very severe, and you want professional help and advice, then you can always visit a foot and ankle specialist.
Dr. Chirag Patel, Ortho in Mumbai, is a reputable doctor and known as the best foot and ankle surgeon in Mumbai. For the best treatments for your joints, book an appointment with Dr. Chirag Patel today.